Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It’s been awhile my faithful readers. Since my triumph at the St. George snud-fest (snow+mud=snud, brilliant, I know) I’ve been diligently working the plan for the planned triumph at Ironman Arizona. Triumph right now is being defined as feeling well enough to hit Denny’s afterwards.

My focus and energy has been sucked into the void called career far too much over the last few months. Not that I’ve been burning the midnight oil, quite the opposite. This blog is not about work but it is about positivity, teamwork, and integrity, all sadly, things lacking in my current work team. The mismatch between how I live my life and what I’ve learned to value and how the others I work with see their reality has become too great and I’m in the midst of moving to another, yet unknown, position in the same organization. That’s exciting but also scary, as all change is. What I have been overwhelmed with is the support and genuine admiration that I’ve felt from the co-workers that I’ve just picked up in the last 3 years after our independent company was sold to the bank.

I will say that I’m so much fitter than I was 2 years ago. I’m really keeping an eye on the fatigue factor. My new rule will be that if I’m not recovered after a day off then I drop optional workout(s) to get a second rest day. By the last cycle in September and October there aren’t actually optional days and the fact is that you do get tired from the training so I’ll play it by ear then. So far, however, Mondays off has left me super happy to get back on Tuesday.

Diet/nutrition is going to continue to be a focus. I dropped the WW after I dropped the 10 lbs because I was no longer logging my intake and I was starting to get the food crazies, the cravings for things that I wouldn’t even ordinarily want to eat; so, off the program and on to just eating smartly. However, I’ve adjusted to the new size and now, like a WW junkie I want more – or actually, less. I’m debating doing another 3 month stint. It did work very well with 50 miler training so I think that I could make it work at least until September.

I think that real effect of those kinds of diets is the novelty. With WW you become very aware of what you’re eating as you journal everything that passes your lips. It’s a great system that, if I’m going to journal my calories in and calories out, works very well and is simple to use.

On the other hand, I’ve been warned, quite rightly, that my goal now is not to lose weight, it’s to train for a faster Ironman and mentally and physically the two might not mesh so well. I have to refuel my body for the next work out and the next until that fabulous cold plunge into Tempe Town Lake starts it all again.

Hmmm…

Lastly, Ironman Poutine (IM Mont Tremblant) has me in a bit of tizzy – 2013???

3 comments:

  1. Logging the calories really helps me. Yes, there will be days where I go above and beyond but in general it helps me make better choices.

    And woohoo for being in better shape this time around - I feel it too! What training plan do you follow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in St.George last weekend. BUT not for anything as extreme as what you did. Congrats! I'm currently doing a high protein low carb diet that I'm not sure works well for someone with your goals. Mine? Lose weight, lower my blood sugar/cholesterol AND the "heart attack" stomach that seems to be following me around since I turned 50. Not easy. BUT.... I am resolve to become stronger and healthier.

    What's next for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly. Trigeek.com plan. It has 3 levels. We did the "just finish the damn thing" level last time. Up a level thus time round. I like his workouts. Good variety. Lots of those important bricks.

    ReplyDelete